Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pop Culture: Warm Bodies

Because we don't have enough paranormal romance stories these days.
This weekend, my siblings and I went to see Warm Bodies. I had heard very little about this movie, so I immediately looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes. It got a 78%. That's pretty good. Do you know what the five Twilight movies got? 49%, 27%, another 49%, 24%, and 48%. So going into it, I was hesitant because it sounded really dumb, yet hopeful because I kind of like Twilight.

The first half of the movie, I couldn't help but think that the whole thing was entirely stupid. It all just seemed like a bad spoof. But about halfway through, I started thinking that it wasn't so bad. There were some pretty funny jokes, and I liked the girl (played by Teresa Palmer, who is very good looking), and it wasn't such a bad story after all. Towards the end, I actually found myself liking the movie quite a lot.

The movie is at its best when it's making ironic comments about the undead like when they bump into each other and say "excuse me," and I especially liked how it was essentially an analogy for people today being so dependent upon technology that we aren't able to function or interact socially.  It made for an interesting discussion on the ride home.

One thing that could have been done better is Palmer's relationship with her boyfriend David Franco, but there was a lot of other stuff going on, too. It's difficult to give adequate time to developing her previous relationship, being captured by a zombie, finding out that the zombie isn't so lifeless after all, developing feelings for the zombie, and fighting off other undead beings. So there were some things that had to fall through the cracks.

Overall though, I thought that it was a pretty good movie. And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment