Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pet Peeve: Bumping Into Close Friends

I like to think that I'm a relatively sociable guy. To quote the great Ron Burgundy, "people know me." And when I pass my acquaintances while walking to class, inside an academic building, or just around, I'm good about saying hello and making a quick quip to them before going about my own damn business. It's a practiced skill.


"Working hard or hardly working, eh Bill?" "Shut up, Ron. Just shut up."
 But as good as I am at making passing conversation with people who I vaguely recognize, I'm always at a loss as to how to go about bumping into one of my close friends. It shouldn't be a problem, because I see them all the time and we are great at having conversations together, but when we're passing each other in the hallway, I have no idea what's appropriate to say. Do I hit them with one of the useless greetings I give random people? Do I try to stop and have a conversation? Can I get away with acknowledging them by simply inclining my neck like one of the Urgals from the Inheritance Series?


If I were as adorable as this little guy I'd be able to do whatever I wanted with impunity.
So what's the protocol? I am good at talking to acquaintances in passing as well as hanging out with my buddies on purpose, but what the hell am I supposed to do when I see my buddies in passing?!

No comments:

Post a Comment